I'm Back from the Midwest Catholic Family Conference

I have just returned from the Midwest Catholic Family Conference where I spent most of my weekend. It was absolutely fantastic! Some of my favorite speakers there were: Bob and Penny Lord, Steve Bollman, and Dr. Janet Smith. I had heard Dr. Smith speak before on Contraception: Why Not? This time I heard her talk on Theology of the Body. Like fine wine, she just gets better with age. The Brothers of St. John were there mainly to teach the children how to adore during Eucharistic Adoration. Fr. Antoine Thomas and Brother John Mary Ignatius are so wonderful with the youth. I sat in during part of a session with some seven year olds and it is just beautiful how they learned to show their love for the Lord. I have been involved with the Community of St. John for nine years now and had seen the Brothers interact with youth at the Monastery, but it was interesting to see them "on the road." Currently, they have two monasteries in the U.S.: one in Princeville, IL and one in Laredo, Texas. A third is soon to be founded in New Jersey.

Some of the goodies I brought back with me include:

(1)* a CD by Father Thomas Joachim, FJ entitled Four Ways To Pray, which covers : Adoration, Contemplation, Petition, and Praise and Thanksgiving. This CD was made on March 25, 2006.

(2) a CD by Michael John Poirier entitled The Tumbleweed Lullaby Collection, copyright 1997. Be a child again in the arms of Jesus and let him sing you a lullaby is the slogan for this CD.

(3) Visionaries, Mystics, and Stigmatists born through the Ages
by Bob and Penny Lord, copyright 1995. I have seen the series on EWTN, but never actually read the book until now.

(4) Faith - Filled Catholic Women's Bible
(New American Bible), Fireside Catholic Publishing, Wichita, KS, copyright 2006.

I also picked up a freebie from Catholic Answers - Voter's Guide for Serious Catholics, 2006.

* You can order this CD from: Holy Spirit Center, 501 Century Drive South, Laredo, TX 78046, Email: holyspirit@laredo.globalpc.com

Comments

  1. Where in New Jersey do they plan to begin the monastery of the Community of St. John? (Inquiring New Jerseyans want to know!)

    Sounds like it was a wonderful conference. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots